Your ability to perform as a negotiator is vital. It contributes to internal effectiveness and commercial success.
A narrow obsession with winning or losing can keep the biggest prizes out of reach.
To create value, you must know how to
• explore interests
• time your offers
• consider alternatives
• seek advice and extra information
• learn from recent events,
and be skilled in
• conflict resolution and
Effective negotiation is demanding. It requires intelligence, tenacity and judgement.
How do you achieve a balance between
• the contours of the relationship - organisational and interpersonal
• the substance of the deal - its purpose and possibilities, and
• activity behind the scenes and at the table?